Sunday 14 April 2013

Visibility

Lately I've been thinking that being part of a non open source shop that, on top of that, only does internal work has a one distinctive disadvantage: I cannot show anyone what I have done and what I can do. So when it comes to look for alternative work (for example, to reduce my current conmute of 1h40m each way) the company that could hire me starts in a position in which they have only my word. And because they have only my word I have to spend time doing trivia questions and doing technical tests. And is that slow and annoying and makes me waste time.

There is Stack Overflow, increasing reputation, as a way to indicate how much you know. But it has the problem that (in my opinion), you have to be quite on top of it, following it constantly and being very active, which most of the time I just can't do. Furthermore, is fine to help other people, but I prefer to see the reputation as a byproduct of helping people and not as the goal itself of answering.

Hence, I have decided to start doing opensource at home. Still thinking how I will go about it, but definitely it will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment