Saturday 30 June 2012

The Ethernet Wars

Well, got CentOS installed. Got a couple users created and then I realised that I couldn’t connect to the network. As my knowledge of Linux is lost, a quick check in internet to find the lspci command, opening the server to check what kind of board I had and finally got to the on board ethernet card. Well, the onboard ethernet is an Atheros, who doesn’t seem to interested in releasing Linux drivers. I found some possible driver, which lend me to learn to use yum (easy peasy, as long as you know what you want to install) to get the kernel source and the development tools installed. And, of course, the compile filed.

Although at some point I will want to sort that out, my priorities are other. Therefore, I have ordered an Edimax Network Card that has Linux Drivers. Let’s see when it arrives.

Interesting story about this. I could say that I have always been applying Nemawashi (yes, I’m reading The Toyota Way). But the reality is that I’m impatient once: I have taken a decision, I want it to happen as soon as possible. To get the network card as quickly as possible the first port of call was PcWorld, because is big and I know where is located … and their selection of network cards is dismal: just of one brand, of which I wasn’t sure it supported well Linux (certainly their website didn’t have available drivers to download). So I checked Amazon, and I could get a guaranteed next day delivery. And that is what I have done.

Meanwhile, I should use my USB stick to get X-Planner, Bugzilla and Mercurial installed. The quicker I get this phase done, the quicker I can get to the meat of what I really want to do … code.

No comments:

Post a Comment